Generation Next are a modern acoustic mainstream ensemble exploring new spaces, colours, impressions and emotions!
The band got together in April 2013 and actively collaborated until the end of 2014. In May the group gave a concert at the Agnieszka Osiecka Studio in Warsaw, broadcast live by Polish Radio’s Program III. Their album, Live at Jazz nad Odrą, was published in August of 2013.
The band was formed of young but established musicians, all winners of prestigious jazz competitions in Poland and abroad, all performing across Europe. There is one more thing that links these people: they got the jazz bug from their parents.
- Piotr Schmidt – trumpet; son of one of the most prominent Polish historians of jazz, author of a three-volume History of Jazz which has already served two generations of Polish jazz musicians and fans;
- Jacek Namysłowski – trombone; son of the living legend, saxophonist and composer Zbigniew Namysłowski, some of whose albums have been hailed as “albums of all time” in Polish jazz;
- Gabriel Niedziela – guitar; son of one of Poland’s best jazz bassists Jacek Niedziela-Meira, participant in over 40 recorded albums, author of the manual Jazz Double Bass and History of Jazz: 100 lectures, which won the award of the Minister of Culture;
- Tomasz Wendt – saxophone; son of the unequalled jazz tenor saxophonist Adam Wendt, who collaborated with such greats as Randy Brecker, Mike Stern, Chick Corea and the band Walk Away.
- Francesco Angiuli (Italy) – double bass (known in Poland chiefly for his collaboration with Piotr Wojtasik)
- Arek Skolik – drums (universally well regarded)